Desiigner Takes DC

The Brooklyn-based rapper is bringing his unique style to the District

By Ellie Klausmeyer | 4/28/17 12:50pm | Updated 4/29/17 11:20am
Courtesy of Desiigner

Sidney Royel Selby, better know as Desiigner, is an evolutionary influence in the rap music scene. Best known for his song “Panda,” the Brooklyn-native’s musical identity rests on his ability to create spats and other sound effects with his voice, adding depth and richness to his rapping. Hear Desiigner’s “pprawh”s and other creative sounds at his show at the 9:30 Club on May 11.

Desiigner got his start singing at school and in church and released his first song “Jackie Chan” when he was a teenager. In 2016, he released “Panda,” which resulted in international recognition and a deal with Kanye West’s G.O.O.D Music label. West also featured Desiigner twice on his most recent project, “The Life of Pablo.” He was also added to XXL Magazine’s “2016 Freshman Class,” an honor shared with Kodak Black, 21 Savage, and Lil Yachty. Since the release of “Panda,” songs like “Tiimmy Turner” and “Caliber” have continued to sculpt Desiigner’s identity and sense of musicianship. Most recently, he released his first mixtape, “New English.”

Beside his unique vocal style, Desiigner is also known for his catchy hooks, which are used extensively in “Panda” and “Tiimmy Turner.” The tone of his voice can sound similar that of Future’s, as both artists capitalize upon a sort of deep, rustic sound.

Desiigner will be performing at the 9:30 Club on May 11 with doors opening at 7 p.m. Get tickets here, or visit the 9:30 Club website for more information.